Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Why I'll Never Have a 25th Birthday

That's right. I'll never have a 25th birthday. How can you say that, you ask? You're 25 right now, you say.

No, not quite. See, I'd be 25 if I was living in America, but I'm not. Here, I'm 26. I have been since I got here. That's because in Korea, the age system is different.

In Korea, when you are born, you are are one year old. On the lunar new year, you turn two. So, by our standards, you could be only a few days old, but in Korea, you'd already be considered two. Just how it works.

So here's how it applies to me. I was 24 when I arrived in Korea, but I needed to add two years: one because I was one when I was born and another because it was after the lunar new year. When my actual birthday rolled around, I was already 26. But see, I didn't change to 27 on my birthday because that's not when it changes. I won't be 27 here until the Lunar New Year.

Now, when I come back home, I'll have my 26th birthday party...but I'll never have a 25th because of my time in Korea. I will, however, get to have a 27th birthday party twice (once on the Lunar new year this year and once on my 27th birthday).

How many people can say they were never 25?

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home