Monday, December 20, 2004

The Computer Fiasco: My Weekend (part 1 of 4)

Just to let you know, this is the first post of four about this weekend. I guess when stuff happens, it happens all at once. This one is the easiest to explain, so it goes first. I'll post the other three events when I have time, but that might not be for a few days.

Damian sent my computer the fast way, so it was here in just under a week. By here, I mean here in Korea, not in my possession. On Tuesday, I got a letter (in Korean) that I had to ask to find out what it meant. Apparently, I had to fill out an attached form: who sent you the package? What does that person do for a living? How do you know that person? What is the contents? How do you intend to use the contents? Etc.

I filled out the form and took it back to the post office. In half-assed English, a man tried to explain to me something about customs and personal use. I gave up and just had him write down in Korean what he was trying to say. I took that letter to my boss, and she had no idea what it was trying to say either. She said she'd call, so I waited.

On Wednesday, my boss called the post office, who told her to then call customs. Customs told her that I needed to fax over a copy of the receipt, my Korean identification card, my passport, and the form that I took to the post office. I didn't have my passport with me, so I had to wait until the next day.

On Thursday, I faxed everything over. About half way through the day, I get a response saying they can't read the receipt fax. I sent it again, but still it was no go, so they asked me to email a copy. I did. It didn't go through. I did to another address. It didn't go through. I did to a third email address. Finally it went through. Great, I thought, I'll finally get my computer.

No. I didn't.

On Friday, I get a fax back. It's, get this, a BILL. They charged me to pick up my package. The fee was roughly $200: 10% tax plus a "service fee" of $55. I got totally screwed.

To make matters worse, I only had enough money for food for the rest of the month because of christmas gifts, postage to send them, computer accessories, and sending money home to pay for the laptop and my bills. I didn't have ANY extra cash, let alone $200.

I went to my boss to have her explain it. She had to leave for several hours in the middle of the explanation (the reason she left, I didn't find out until later that night. I'll explain it in another post--1 of the 4 major things that happened this weekend), but when she came back, she told me that I could get an advance on my next paycheck to pay for it. A huge hassle, but, I suppose, problem solved.

So I finally got the computer (which they didn't even bother to send over, by the way. I had to go and pick it up at the post office). It's great and I love it. I fiddled around a lot this weekend, but I don't have the internet yet. I'm trying to get it set up. Let's see how THAT goes :).

R


3 Comments:

At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, shoot all that sounds like a hassle and you had to pay anyway. It does not seem fair to me. I am so sorry to hear of your friend at work. I hope she can get and even better position. G. Reiling

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger Shem said...

I wonder what the Korea govt. thinks of internet shopping? Not much I bet.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger RPShep said...

If the shipment comes from a different country, it's still subject to customs tax. And internet shopping is HUGE in Korea. Way bigger than in the US. Mostly because something like 95% of the population is hooked into the internet (and something like 40% have wireless internet on their cell phones). They're the most technologicall connected country in the world. It's really odd to see really old people accessing the internet from their cell phones while riding the bus--but it happens...often.

R

 

Post a Comment

<< Home