Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Introductions: Early Days Part 2

When I rang the intercom, there was no answer at first. I opened the door, which he had left unlocked for me. Just as I did, out walked Chris, my new roommate. My first impression of Chris as he stood there in his underwear was that he looked like someone who had once been in very good shape and then tried very hard to go out of shape quickly. I'd later find out that this wasn't far from the truth.

"Oh, hey man, let me get some pants," he said.

I should mention at this point that there are several Chrises in my Daejon life. This is Chris #1, or Classic Chris. He was my first roommate, and he and I still hang out sometimes. I'd meet Chris #2 in a few days. He's a co-worker that everyone calls Logan to differentiate him from Classic Chris. Logan is also a Hoosier, by the way. He's from Logansport, but that has nothing to do with his nickname. Chris #3 is an English major that I sometimes talk to at bars. He's usually Chris with Glasses, or Book Chris. Chris #4 is my current roommate. There's a whole post somewhere in my head just about him. I usually call him Wichita for reasons that will be apparent later.

Chris did get some pants but didn't bother with a shirt. He should have.

Classic Chris and I chatted as we headed down to get my luggage. I really wouldn't know much about him for a few days, though.

"How long have you been here, man?" I asked. I knew nothing about him up until this point.

"A little over a year."

"Do you like it here?" I asked.

"Yeah, I do. I only with I had come here sooner." This was surprisingly apt. Classic Chris is one of those people that likes Korea more than home. He'll probably stay here for years, maybe forever. He loves the place despite the fact that he can't really speak any Korean.

We got out my luggage and my bike and took it all upstairs. My bike was a hassle getting upstairs just like it was a hassle during every other part of the tip: getting on the plane, finding it when I got off the plane, getting it in the taxi, and now getting it to my apartment. A hassle that was expensive ($130 to bring with me) and a hassle that would only last me six weeks until it was stolen.

My new apartment was tiny, but everyone told me it was going to be tiny, so I was surprised at how big it actually was. We had two small bedrooms, a small bathroom, a decent sized kitchen, and a nice living room to share. Considering most Korean apartments just have two rooms (one that's half kitchen) and a very tiny bathroom, we actually made out alright.

"Want a beer?" Chris asked. "We saved on for you."

"Sure," I said. I actually did, even though I'm not a huge beer drinker. It was the best beer I had ever had in my life. I didn't realize how thirsty I was.

"Kevin's in the other room," he said. "He's the guy you're replacing. He's a good guy; you'll like him." I did like Kevin, but I don't see how Chris could know that. All he could possibly know about me so far was that I liked to bike.

I wouldn't meet Kevin for several weeks, though. He went on a tour around Asia the next morning before I got up, and I didn't meet him until he got back.

"Tomorrow, just sleep in," Chris told me. "Rose said you don't have to come in to work if you don't want to, unless you just want to check the place out." I did want to check the place out and asked for a map. He scribbled one out quickly for me and tried to explain to me a city that I had yet to really see (aside from the same stretch of road about five times on the way in).

A wandered into my room after he went to sleep thinking I wouldn't be able to sleep in my new room. I was wrong. The bed was small, it was hard, and the sheets were itchy, but damned if I didn't pass out the moment I hit that hard itchy surface.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home