Thursday, June 23, 2005

What Kind of Minority are You?

Now that I've been a minority for a year, I've realized a few things about myself. I'm not the "angry Black Man" minority. I'm not the "try my best to fit in" minority, either. What I am is a "pissed at my own" minority. Let me explain:

--I find myself apologizing for other westerners all the time.
--I'm always asking my Korean friends do you resent, get pissed off by, or get frustrated with one or another of the foreigners Korean actions.
--I often get pissed at friends because what they are doing "makes us look bad" and "perpetuates stereotypes."

Sure, I'm proud of my culture, but I also find that when you're in a minority position, people notice every little thing that you do. You have to be careful, because obviously, stereotypes and prejudices come from somewhere.

Who's fault is it that these things get started? It's hard to say. But I can say that being a minority is a very complicated thing. I have new respect and understanding for the minorities in the US.

R

1 Comments:

At 12:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like the last few articles very much. Good work, good comments, thoughtful writting. gr

 

Post a Comment

<< Home