Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Austin

I got up very early on my first day in Austin. I couldn't sleep well on the bus, so I went to bed almost as soon as I got in, but as usual, I can't sleep more than 8 or 9 hours.

In the morning, I looked at a cooking school and visited the local comic shop. In the afternoon, I visited the University of Texas and another cooking school. I left UT with a far most positive feeling than I left the University of Illinois. It seems like a place that I could spend my time.

That evening, I had dinner with a friend I know only named Rod and his wife, Rachel. They were a great couple, gave me some great advice about what to see in the city, and generally, made me want to live here even more.

Today, I saw the last cooking school (briefly) and then headed to see a movie at the famed Alamo Drafthouse. Generally, you're told to show up for the movie about 45 minutes early here. The reason why is that they forgo regular ads and trailers, but instead show various other kinds of entertainment before the film: short films related to the movie, funny clips, classic trailers from old movies, and various other things. You can actually order food from your seat (I just got some chips and salsa), and the theater serves a whole selection of beers and wines (which I chose not to partake in). It was by far my best movie going experience and wasn't any more expensive than a regular theater. I highly recommend it for anyone passing through Austin.

Which brings me to now. I'm sitting back in my hotel room, missing my wife, and wondering what to have for dinner. I leave for Phoenix in the morning, where I'll meet up with Damian and visit Arizona State University before heading to Tijuana and San Diego then back to Phoenix on Friday evening.

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home