Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Running in High Heels on Ice

We finally got our first snow here. It's not much, just enough to stick. As if the traffic isn't bad enough, now slickness has been added into the equation. My cabby was actually being safe when I got a ride up the grocery last night (something cabbies here rarely are) but not everyone was being so cautious. I was amazed to see people still out on motorcycles and scooters.

I watched a guy on a motorcycle stop at a red light (just barely), try to get going again with his feet (with no luck), get off the bike to push it, slip, and then let the thing fall onto the ice. Maybe if it wasn't so cold I would have helped him. Maybe.

This morning as I walked to school, a woman in high heels was trying to hurry out of the cold and ice. She ran past me probably 15 times, because she kept running and then slowing way down, running and then slowing way down. I just kept my steady pace, ya know, like the tortoise. I'm very turtle-like sometimes.

I was doing fine on the ice until I can to an ice covered intersection. I almost went down, but I caught myself as the woman in the heels passed by me again. I couldn't even walk on the ice in hiking shoes, and yet she managed to run on it in high heels.

I was going to get out my high heels and see how I fared on that intersection. No such luck: it's afternoon and the ice and snow are almost melted. I guess I'll just have to wait for the next snowstorm.

R

2 Comments:

At 3:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you do get out the high heels and try to see how you fair on ice with them, please be sure and take a picture of yourself. This I would like to see! GR

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Shem said...

It doesn't seem a good idea, but maybe heels actually are an advantage on ice--acting as giant spikes to provide grip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home