Thursday, June 23, 2005

Reverse Culture-Shock: a preview

Just because I'll be in the US soon, don't expect the blog to shut down. I'm going to use my time in the US to tell some untold tales, but also to chronical my "reverse culture-shock." A lot of my friends here say that you experience this. You see things that you didn't notice about your own culture before. You have a hard time getting used to doing things the American way again. You don't get pop culture references anymore. You struggle not to listen to everyones conversations because you understand everyone again (when you're in a country that doesn't speak English, you develop English radar. If you hear the language spoken outside, you hone right in on it).

In any case, it WILL be weird not to speak in Korean anymore. It WILL be weird to get whatever I want and be able to ask any questions I want. It WILL be weird to drive again. It WILL be weird to not be stared at, oggled, admired, hated, or ignored everywhere I go. I'll be just another fish in the sea. We'll see how THAT goes.

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home