Thursday, June 23, 2005

Early Days Part 0: The move

NOTE: Getting ready to come home has got me thinking a lot about when I came here. Really, this is Early Days part 5 or 6 or something, but I think it's more appropriately titled part 0 because this all takes place before I even CAME to Korea.

I was looking for jobs on the internet when I came across the ad by accident. Teachers Wanted: South Korea. I remembered that just a few months earlier, I was looking at jobs in Japan, and I had nearly taken one. I wanted to see the world, no question, but was I ready? I saved the link and then moved on to look at other jobs.

As I browsed the jobs, my mind kept coming back to working overseas: when else would I be able to do this? I had no job, I had no school, and I had no other things tying me down. Certainly, in just a few months I'd have these things. A job, a girlfriend, which would eventually lead to a better job, maybe a wife, maybe kids. I'd never have an opportunity like this again in my life.

I typed Korea into a search engine and came up with other jobs: Seoul, Busan, Daegu, Daejon. I looked them all over. I looked up Japan, Taiwan, the Phillipines. I found many that I was qualified for. I called and IMed some friends for advice, all of whom where terribly supportive (you know who you are). After thinking about it for about a day (or for years depending on how you look at it), I started filling out applications.

My first call came that night. So did my second. The ball was rolling. I had interviews within 24 hours. I had contracts went to me within a few days. By the end of the week, I had already made my decision. After being offered two jobs in Korea, one in Japan, one in Taiwan, and one in the Phillipines, I decided to take the job in Daejon Korea. The other Korean job was in Seoul, a city of ten million people. Honestly, I didn't take the job out of fear. I'm glad I didn't: Daejon is much more "Korean" than Seoul. Seoul is certainly a nice place to visit and a beautiful city, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I started applying for passports and visas the next week. I started packing. I started letting friends borrow things and having going away parties. But what I was doing didn't really hit me until my final week in the US. I got scared. VERY scared.

Was this the right thing to do? What if I got there and I hated it? What if things didn't work out, or I got hurt, or something happened back home? I tried to put on a tough face, but I was scared out of my mind. I almost called it all off as I packed away my final belongings and headed over to my parents' house. Could I even handle this?

One thing that I'll always remember about my last week in the US is my going away party with friends. People who I had grown very close with over the last few years all gathered at my house, and quietly sipped wine and beer. We sat outside chatting until almost 4 in the morning. Those people are all over the US now: I'll never get a night like that again.

I was physically sick when I headed up to the airport. Because of parties and nervousness, I hadn't slept in two days. I was tired and my stomach was killing me. We packed all my stuff into the car, and there was a certain finality to everything that was unsettling. I thought we would be late, but we ended up having an extra hour to kill before I boarded the plane.

I'm glad the goodbyes were muted: I don't think I could have handled an emotional goodbye.

R

2 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan--I had to list my last address in IN on paperwork for a new car today, and it brought me right back to the house on Spring St. and your going away party. Talking away into the early morning with the stars fading and the birds starting to chirp. Yes,we're all scattered now, pursuing our different dreams, but what a time, eh? I'm happy for the memory. Your NY artist pal and former house buddy--Bendress

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Came across your site due to the wonderful "Next Blog" button. Been reading through it and it's nice.
I can empathize with leaving the states for a prolonged period of time. I'm envious of your departure though... I should have been smart and done it that way. Instead I waited in Chicago at multiple spots hoping someone would see me off. No luck. Boarded by myself thinking no one would remember. Strangely the arrival back into the states nearly two years later got a response.

Good times though.

The little one (Barbie) in your pictures is a doll.

Keep writing.

-s

 

Post a Comment

<< Home