Saturday, July 26, 2008

Soaked

I was at the baseball game dripping sweat in the insane humidity when Hye Sook tapped me on the shoulder and told me she needed help. Many people that Dan knows from Daejeon had come down this weekend to watch the baseball game and go see Dan play at a nearby bar. Logan was one of them, and he was getting into some trouble. See, the Busan fans weren't very happy with a bunch of Daejeon fans sitting in their section anyway, but Logan (and others) were rubbing it in whenever Daejeon made a good play. Logan had had a few too many and decided it would be a good idea to dance in front of the Busan cheerleaders. Security was called in, and Logan wasn't going quietly.

Me and a few of the other guys got up and tried to get Logan to sit back down, but he just kept saying, "I just want to go over there. This is some communist shit. This isn't a democracy. I just want to go over there," and other stuff to that effect. Logan isn't a small guy, so trying to get him to sit down wasn't easy. Three of us and two security guards were still struggling when I felt something bang against my shoulder. I looked down and saw that I was soaked. An irate Busan fan had thrown a full water bottle from up in the stands. It bounced off one of the security guards' heads and hit me in the shoulder, where it burst open.

This, of course, made the situation much much worse. The other guys that were with me started screaming at the man who threw the bottle, Logan was getting away, and the security guard was angry and bleeding from a small gash on his forehead. After much ado, Logan was finally corralled and eventually got kicked out of the stadium after arguing with the guards for a good 10 minutes. The security guards got the bottle thrower, but he simply said that he was sorry and apparently that was enough, because he got to go back to his seat.

The lesson: when captured by Korean security guards, whether dancing in front of the other team's cheeleaders or throwing bottles trying to injure other fans, saying sorry just might get you out of it.

R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home